Subcontractor Login

« Historical

Restoration of the Historic St. Cecilia Motherhouse Convent

Hardaway Construction - Restoration of the Historic St. Cecilia Motherhouse Convent
Hardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project Image
Hardaway Construction - Project ImageHardaway Construction - Project Image
Location: Nashville, TN
Owner: Dominican Sisters of the St. Cecilia Congregation
Architect: Centric Architecture

The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia Congregation launched a three phased expansion and modernization program for their 146 year old Motherhouse.  The structure was originally built in 1860 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.  The third phase was the repair and renovation of the existing 84,000 SF Historic Motherhouse.  Due to the age of the facility and the Congregation’s increase in size, it was in serious need of code upgrades and improvements.

This was a Design/Build project, therefore, Hardaway worked very closely with the architect, Centric Architecture, to design and build a facility that duplicated the major features of the existing structure.  Working closely with the Owner and the Design Team, care was taken to re-use as much as possible and still upgrade the life safety features to meet today’s code requirements.

Particular interest was given to the complete renovation of the mechanical and electrical systems.  Space allocation and coordination of the systems in limited space for ductwork, etc., while maintaining the existing architectural features of the Historic facility was a major accomplishment.  Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems were overhauled, a new HVAC system was installed in the entire building along with fire sprinklers, smoke detectors, fire escape stairs, and the removal and replacement of exterior porches and balconies. Hardaway also replaced 500 windows as well as the structure’s roof.  A chapter room was added and the Novitiate enlarged.

« Back to Historical

Follow us on:
Hardaway Construction on Twitter Hardaway Construction on LinkedIn